Many of you suffer with dark circles. Well rest assured that you are far from alone. It is an extremely common condition albeit a very frustrating one.
Why are you suffering with dark circles?
1. The primary cause for dark circles on pale skin is actually nasal congestion, yes you heard right; nasal congestion.
You see, when your nose is plugged up, the veins that normally drain from your eye area into your nose become dilated and darker resulting in dark circles.
2. Fluid retention can also cause the capillaries to become dilated and darker and, you guessed it, result in dark circles. Fluid retention can occur when you consume too much salt, or afflicted with a condition such as heart, kidney, liver, or thyroid disease.
3. Dehydration can cause dark circles to appear.
4. Unfortunately, in some cases (usually with darker skin tones) the cause is genetics and there isn’t much that can be done in these instances except to cover them up with a nice concealer.
5. Aging causes the epidermis to thin which can cause the blood vessels to show from under the skin.
What can you do about them?
Include supplements and/or vibrant fruits and vegetables that are high in antioxidants and vitamin C. These antioxidant rich sources may help strengthen and fortify your blood vessels reducing the appearance of dark circles.
Drink plenty of water so that your body stays hydrated. When you become dehydrated your cells cling to any existing fluid resulting in fluid retention.
Use an eye cream that contains one or more of the following ingredients:
- Vitamin K
- Horse chestnut
- Witch hazel
- Green tea
In some cases there isn’t much that can be done, but there is no harm in trying and if an eye cream can help it’s well worth it.
Red light therapy has helped diminish dark circles for many individuals. I has healing powers that reduce inflammation, increase circulation, and bring more oxygen to the surface of the skin. You can read more about this technology here.
Yes, dark circles are frustrating, however, depending on the cause you may be able to reduce their appearance and throw out that concealer once and for all.