This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. I will never recommend any products that I don't believe in. Please read my Disclosurefor more info.
Unfortunately, the sun damages your skin in more ways than one. Sun exposure is the number one cause of premature aging causing lines, wrinkles, age spots, and loss of elasticity. Research shows that around 40-50% of Americans who live to the ripe young age of 65 will develop some form of skin cancer.
You can actually take steps to help prevent this devastating disease by selecting the foods you eat very carefully. Make healthy choices while reducing unhealthy ones to promote strong and healthy skin.
1. Consume less fat. Studies have shown that diets high in fat are linked to a greater risk of developing skin cancer, especially if you have been diagnosed with it previously. In fact, if you have had skin cancer before and continue to eat a diet high in fat, then your chances of acquiring it again are increased by 400%! A low fat diet has been shown to actually reduce the risk of developing skin cancer in the first place and also reduces your risk of developing it again.
2. Reduce your intake of dairy foods. Unfortunately, studies have shown that individuals who have had a prior case of skin cancer and continue to consume whole milk, cheese, and yogurt are 3 times more likely to develop the disease again. Limit your intake of dairy foods and replace them with healthier choices such as fruits and vegetables.
3. Eat plenty of leafy green vegetables. Research shows that individuals who eat lots of leafy green veggies have a whopping 50% lower rate of obtaining skin cancer.
4. Drink red wine. Red wine has been shown to not only offer benefits for your health, but also helps protect your skin from sunburn as well as reducing your risk of skin cancer.
5. Eat more fish or take fish oil supplements. Research shows that fish oil, as well as krill oil, can actually boost the skin’s natural immune system helping it to fight off skin cancer. Regular consumption of this vital oil has been shown to reduce the occurrence of precancerous growths by 28%.
Exposing yourself to the sun carries many risks, but you can take steps to protect yourself. Along with wearing a sunscreen every single day, make sure your diet consists of healthy skin protecting foods.