When we think of the body’s organs, we oftentimes don’t think about our skin.The skin is the largest organ and provides an important role just as the lungs or heart. Not only does it eliminate toxins from the body it also regulates our body temperate. Even while fully clothed our skin can sustain damage due to externals factors such as pollution or sunlight as well as internal factors such as diet. It is important to understand that what we put into our body can play a major role in the overall look and feel of our skin.
At various stages of our lives we may become particularly interested in our skin and may feel the need to make it look better. Promoting healthy looking skin does not have to be costly and there are things one can do to improve the look of one’s skin without spending a dime. Here are 5 tips to healthier looking skin.
1. Watch what you consume. It is oftentimes cheaper to watch what we put into our body that spending on an expensive skin care regimen. Cigarettes, alcohol, sugar and coffee can affect the overall look and feel of our skin. If you’re serious about great looking skin, you will have to reduce your intake of these. On the other hand, foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids as well as fruits and veggies are great for the skin.
2. Drink up. It’s advised that we drink between six and eight glasses of water daily. Water helps to keep the skin hydrated, helps to flush out toxins, keep joints supple and skin looking beautiful. If you suffer from dry skin, try drinking more water.
3. Get moving. Regular exercise can help remove toxins as well as stimulate the body’s circulation which enhances the delivery of nutrients to your skin cells.
4. Avoid over exposure to the sun. Sunshine is great for Vitamin D but as with most things, moderation is key. Excessive sun exposure can lead to premature aging, cancer or damaged looking skin. If you can’t help over exposure to the sun, you can take simple preventative measures such as using a sunblock with at least SPF15 and wearing hats or sunglasses.
5. Keep it simple – What you don’t put on your skin is as equally as important as what you do. Avoid skin care regimens that strip away your skin’s natural oils. Chose gentle products lines and avoid those containing mineral oil, parabens, petroleum and alcohol based substances as these are absorbed through the skin. Don’t just pull a product from a shelf because of it’s packaging. Read the labels and know what’s going on your skin the same way you read food labels to know what’s going in your body.
As you can see, healthy skin is the result of a holistic approach. If you are serious about improving the look and feel of your skin, you can’t have a one-dimensional approach or you will find yourself constantly disappointed when you don’t get the results advertised by a product. By following the points above, you will be well on your way to healthy skin.
Carlana Charles is a Virtual Business Assistant and has been supporting small businesses and entrepreneurs online since 2007. She is also pursuing a degree in Women’s Studies from Athabasca University and is passionate about issues that women face and factors that can impact the quality of life they lead. When she is not working or studying she enjoys reading a good book, spending time with her family, snorkeling and surfing the internet. Visit her website and grab a free E-Guide, Anti-Aging Tips For Divas or join the conversation on issues that impact women at all stages of life and the aging process.