30th May, 2012 - Posted by Victoria Girard - 5 Comments
Woohoo! Summer is here and all of its glorious sunshine feels amazing to all of us who hunker down during the long and cold winter months. But with the warmth comes some unfortunate dangers with the sun’s rays.
As you emerge from your winter den and spend more time enjoying the outdoors you may want to take some extra care to ensure that the health and beauty of your skin remain, well healthy and beautiful.
1. Cleansing with a gentle yet effective cleanser is important for removing dirt, debris, sweat, and chlorine. You want to keep your pores clear from acne causing elements, especially as your skin experiences more frequent periods of sweat and heat.
Renu Derma Gel Cleanser
100% Pure Cucumber Juice Facial Cleansing Foam
2. Exfoliating your skin is important year round, but during the busy summer months you will need to make sure you keep up with this important step. Exfoliating your skin 2-3 times a week will increase cell turnover, polish the surface of your skin, and help your other products do their jobs much more effectively. It’s a simple step that makes a huge impact.
Rhonda Allison Pumice Wash
PMD Personal Microderm
3. Using an antioxidant rich serum will help protect your cells from free radicals and the damage they inflict. Free radicals result from a number of things including the sun, pollution, chemicals, and a poor diet. They are unstable molecules that steal from unsuspecting and healthy moleules in an attempt to become more stable themselves. Unfortunately, this process causes a domino effect as one molecule damages another, and then that damaged molecule goes after another… you get the picture. Antioxidants have the power to stop free radicals in their tracks protecting our cells from their destruction.
Dawn Lorraine Antioxidant Infusion Super Fruit Age Elixir
Rhonda Allison Antioxidant Complex Serum
4. Red light therapy, based on NASA research, has been shown to repair sun damaged skin promoting healthier cellular functions and responses. Red LED lights penetrate deep into skin and tissue where they prompt healing and reparative processes, stimulate collagen production, reduce inflammation, and energize cells. As you spend more time out in the sun, red light therapy will help your skin repair any damage that has occurred.
DPL® Therapy System
5. Wearing an SPF moisturizer daily is crucial year round but as you venture out in the sun more and more it becomes even more vital to protect your skin from the effects of UV light. Sun damage results in age spots, uneven skin tone, lines, wrinkles, and in more severe cases; skin cancer. Taking that small step and applying and SPF moisturizer every day will help keep you and your skin healthy.
DeVita Solar Protective Moisturizer SPF30+
Dermalogica Oil Free Matte SPF30
La Roche-Posay Anthelios Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid, SPF 50
6. Now that you protecting your skin with an SPF moisturizer every single day you be yearning for a glowing sun-kissed complexion. Using a sunless tanner will give you a natural looking beautiful and safe tan.
Actifirm Firming Self Tanner
Au Courant Platinum Sunless Tanning clear Spray Tan
7. Eyelids are one of the most common areas for developing nonmelanoma skin cancers according t the Skin Cancer Foundation. Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun. Read the labels and look for glasses that block 99-100% of UVA and UVB radiation.
Coppertone Sunglasses with 100% UVA/UVB protection
Cover Girl sunglasses with 100% UV protection
8. Eat plenty of antioxidant rich foods such as fruit, veggies, nuts, and beans as well as drink lots of water to keep your body well hydrated. Feeding your skin from the inside will help it look it’s best and function properly.
9. Consider getting a wide-brimmed hat as an extra precaution for protecting your face, eyes, and neck.
Summer is a fun and exciting season and one that tends to draw people out into the great outdoors. Just remember as you enjoy yourself in the sun to take extra care to ensure that your skin doesn’t pay a heavy price for your fun in the sun.